Your guide to production in England
Insider knowledge, essential details, and first-hand tips on filming in England.
Filmed in England
- Star Wars (later retitled Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope) is a 1977 American epic space opera film written and directed by George Lucas. Filming took place at Elstree Studios near London. The film studio was the only one of its kind in England or America that could cater nine large stages at the same time and allow the company complete freedom to use its own personnel.
- Saving Private Ryan is a 1998 American epic war drama film set during the Invasion of Normandy in World War II. Scenes were filmed in England at the former British Aerospace factory in Hatfield, Hertfordshire, Thame Park, Oxfordshire and Wiltshire.
- The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is a 2011 Swedish-American mystery thriller film based on the novel of the same name by Stieg Larsson. Filming took place Sweden, Switzerland, Norway, England, and the United States.
- A Clockwork Orange is a 1971 dystopian crime film adapted, produced, and directed by Stanley Kubrick, based on Anthony Burgess's 1962 novella A Clockwork Orange.The film was shot on location throughout England.
- Snatch is a 2000 crime comedy film written and directed by Guy Ritchie, featuring an ensemble cast. Filming took place throughout London.
- Full Metal Jacket is a 1987 war film directed and produced by Stanley Kubrick. Kubrick shot the film in England: in Cambridgeshire, on the Norfolk Broads, and at the former Millennium Mills, Beckton Gas Works, Newham (east London) and the Isle of Dogs.
- Sherlock Holmes is a 2009 action mystery film based on the character of the same name created by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. The crew shot at Freemasons' Hall, St Paul's Cathedral, Manchester's Northern Quarter, St Bartholomew-the-Great church, Stanley Dock and Clarence Dock in Liverpool and The Historic Dockyard, Chatham.
- Batman is a 1989 American superhero film directed by Tim Burton and produced by Jon Peters, based on the DC Comics character of the same name. Filming took place at Pinewood Studios, Knebworth House and Hatfield House doubling for Wayne Manor, plus Acton Lane Power Station and Little Barford Power Station.
- Harry Potter is a British film series based on the Harry Potter novels by author J. K. Rowling. Filming of the series began at Leavesden Studios, Hertfordshire, England, in September 2000 and ended in December 2010.
Do you know of any major films shot in England that should be included on this list? Let us know!